& Home Repair
Stable Home. Brighter Future.
Neighborhood Focus: Portland Neighborhood
Habitat’s Community Development and Home Repair Program (CDR) is focused on the Portland neighborhood. In recent years, the Portland neighborhood has experienced economic growth with several businesses relocating to the neighborhood, however, residents are still struggling to overcome serious health and financial challenges to remain in their homes.
Together, we’re empowering Portland residents to become the stewards of their homes and the leaders of their neighborhood by providing the tools necessary to improve their quality of life.
Only 37% of Portland’s housing is owner-occupied, creating a high risk for displacement of long-time residents.
There is nearly 12.6 years difference in life expectancy for Portland residents compared to other Louisville neighborhoods.
Residents of the Portland neighborhood are 6 times more likely to be classified as low-income.
I am proud to be a Portland homeowner...
“Love Your Neighborhood”
Our “Love Your Neighborhood” initiative works hand-in-hand with homeowners, neighborhood residents and community volunteers to repair homes, clean streets and parks, provide access for aging in place and learn from one another; all while maintaining and improving the strength and character of the Portland neighborhood.
The goal is to create successful homeownership and a thriving community by connecting families in need with volunteers to prevent displacement, preserve affordable housing stock and provide a catalyst for homeowners to revitalize their neighborhood.
Our 2021 “Love Your Neighborhood” event is scheduled for Saturday, September 25 in the Portland neighborhood! Projects include exterior home repairs and neighborhood beautification of alley/street clean-ups, community park improvements, flower pot painting and more.
Plant in Portland – adopt a raised garden bed!
Interested in having space to grow your own vegetables, spices and flowers?
- Habitat is offering up its garden beds for Portland residents for free on a first-come, first-served basis!
- Gardeners will adopt the raised garden bed for a full year and will receive education and technical support from Ag in the City:
- Preparing the soil
- Starting the plants
- Gardeners will be responsible for on-going watering
- Some plants will be provided for the gardeners by Ag in the City but gardeners should bring specific plants and seeds they’d like to grow.
- For any questions and to reserve a garden bed, please email email@example.com.
At Habitat, we believe that decent shelter does not have to mean new shelter. In addition to building new homes, we partner with existing homeowners in the Portland neighborhood to help families and individuals affordably maintain and preserve their home; making them healthier, safer and more sustainable.
Our goal for critical and minor repairs is to make a real difference in a homeowner’s living circumstances, helping to provide a warm, safe and dry place to call home.
Types of Minor Repairs
- Exterior Painting
- Fence Repairs
- Handrail Installation/Repairs
- Hot Water Heaters
- Wheelchair Ramps
- Gutter Repair
Types of Critical Repairs
- Roof Repair
- Siding Replacement
- Window and/or Door Replacement
- HVAC repair
- Own & live in your home
- Income does not exceed 60% of Area Median Income
- Must be current on mortgage and property taxes
- Have homeowner’s insurance and current on the payments
- Willingness to partner with Habitat through sweat equity and a small fee
Get started today by completing the Home Repair Inquiry form!
Sometimes, we receive home repair requests that are outside of our service area or our scope of work. Please take a look at a list of other community organizations that may be able to assist you in your home repairs.