Stable Home. Brighter Future.
Become a Homeowner
At Habitat Louisville, we empower low-income families and individuals to reach their full potential through decent, affordable homeownership. These hard-working homebuyers are provided a hand up, not a hand out. Homeownership unlocks the ability to build financial stability, to excel at work and school, and to grow up in a healthier environment.
Through partnering with Habitat, you’ll not only buy a home, but you’ll gain new friends, new skills and a new sense of community and belonging. The security and stability a Habitat home provides will help you take the first steps towards a brighter future.
Continue down this page to learn more about Habitat’s program guidelines and how to begin your homeownership journey!
Step-by-Step Process To Homeownership
Applications are typically offered once or twice each year. Once you submit your completed application, the approval process can take 90 – 120 days. You will be contacted throughout the process on the status of your application. Prompt attention to any requests of information is important.
Approved applicants begin our homeownership program, choose their lot and house plan, and complete an intensive homebuyer education course.
Homebuyers complete 400 hours of sweat equity, earned by attending workshops, working on Habitat work sites, volunteering at ReStore, and building their own home!
Raise the Roof!
Homebuyers work side-by-side with Habitat and community volunteers to build their home. The construction of a home usually takes 12 – 16 weeks, start to finish.
This is the last step towards homeownership… homebuyers become homeowners after closing. Habitat sells homes at no-profit, and offers a 20-year, 0% interest mortgage.
Continue down this page to learn more about Habitat's 2021 Open Enrollment Period,
April 8 - April 24, 2021, and how you can submit a mortgage application.
Habitat partners with low-income families and individuals who are in need of decent, affordable housing.
Did You Know?
Habitat homeowners monthly mortgage payments are reinvested into our mission to help fund the construction of additional homes.
All Habitat homes are energy star compliant and HERS rated between 50 – 60.
Frequently Asked Questions
No! Habitat partners with families to provide affordable mortgages. Homebuyers can expect to pay no more than 30% of their income towards their housing costs.
Habitat for Humanity of Metro Louisville offers a variety of different housing solutions. We offer rehabilitated houses starting at $60,000, and we sell new homes ranging in price from $87,500 to $147,500, depending on size and location. Prices vary, but you will know more prior to signing any contract. Habitat homes are sold to our homebuyer families for no profit and are financed with an affordable mortgage. The cost of the homes may be different depending on the size of the house, taxes, and insurance. Closing costs are $2,000, which are payable on an installment basis during your time in the program. There are no hidden fees or surprise charges.
Monthly mortgage payments vary depending on the length of the mortgage, but will not be more than 30% of a homeowner’s monthly income. Monthly mortgage payments include an escrow for homeowner’s insurance and taxes.
Applications are considered based on three main criteria:
- Demonstrated Need, such as overcrowded conditions, unsafe housing, and financial burden of more than 30% of income spent on housing.
- Ability to Pay a reasonable mortgage. Total cost of housing (mortgage, taxes, and insurance) cannot exceed 30% of all household income.
- Willingness to Partner. Homebuyers must attend all workshops and scheduled meetings, complete 400 hours of sweat equity, and pay $2,000 in closing costs.
Applications are typically offered once or twice each year. Once you submit your completed application, you can expect the approval process to take at least 90 – 120 days. You will be contacted throughout the process to update you on the status of your application. Prompt attention to any requests for information is very important.
Habitat is a nonprofit organization that provides three distinct services in the homeownership process: home construction, mortgage financing and mortgage servicing. These services would normally be given by for-profit real estate businesses. Additionally, Habitat staff members serve as housing mentors, here to support our homeowners in learning the ins and outs of homeownership, getting through challenging times and celebrating successes.
By providing all of these services, Habitat is able to offer its homeowners a substantial amount of savings. We are able to open the door to homeownership for those who would not be able to buy a home through more traditional means.
Since Habitat builds homes with affordability in mind, Habitat homeowners have more limited choices about their homes than someone buying from a traditional homebuilder. While Habitat homeowners are able to choose things like the exterior paint color of the home, the homeowner will have limited choices about things such as the location of the home or the number of bedrooms and bathrooms inside the home.
Approved homebuyers can expect to be a part of the homeownership program for 8-16 months after orientation.
Home builds are located throughout Louisville, Jefferson County and Oldham County. Habitat builds affordable homes in West Louisville neighborhoods, Shively, Sheppard Square, Germantown, and in Park Springs, a development in east Louisville off of Westport Rd. Locations are based on the availability of land, and house prices vary based on location.
Take a look at our Where We Build page to see where Habitat is currently building and rehabbing homes.
Habitat for Humanity is not like a traditional bank or real estate agent. We build and rehab quality homes in areas where we can find affordable land. For specific information, please contact a member of the Homebuyer Services staff.
Yes! Habitat does build houses that are ADA compliant. We have a great deal of experience working with homebuyers with a variety of different needs. For more information, or if you have specific ADA needs, please contact Homebuyer Services staff. Approved homebuyers should notify staff as soon as possible if they have specific needs.
Habitat for Humanity, with its partners, builds safe, decent, affordable housing. Our homeowners feel comfortable and secure in their new homes. However, Habitat is not a custom home builder.
A basic Habitat house includes:
|Approximately 1100 sq. ft.||One coat closet and one linen storage area||Smoke detectors|
|Covered front porch||Sidewalk at front of house||Steel entry doors with deadbolts|
|Central Air Conditioning||Refrigerator and electric range||Wood interior doors|
|Insulated windows with screens||Residential carpet and vinyl flooring||2nd entrance|
|Lawn graded, seeded and strawed||Self-contained security system||Washer and electric dryer hookup|
|Bracing for ceiling fans||Five jacks- at least one phone jack||Handicap accessible bathrooms|
|Detached Storage Building||Shrubs and plant bed for front of house||Water heater and furnace|
|Mini-blinds in bedrooms and baths|
A basic Habitat house does NOT include:
|Blinds in living room, dining area, kitchen||Dishwasher (optional)||Security system monitoring|
|Ceiling Fans||Fences||Special cabinets|
|Concrete driveway||Chest Freezer||Special doors or trim work|
|Curtains||Garage or carport||Washer/Dryer|
|Custom floor plans||Garbage disposal||Custom cabinetry or fixtures|
2021 Open Enrollment Period
Accepting Mortgage Applications: April 8 – April 24, 2021
- From April 8 – April 24, 2021, Habitat for Humanity of Metro Louisville will be accepting mortgage applications for our homeownership program.
- During this time, applications will be given out and accepted back only on Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays from 10 am – 4 pm at 1621 Columbia Street, 40203.
- We are no longer accepting Expression of Interest forms. Beginning on April 8th, you can come to 1621 Columbia Street, 40203 to pick up an application.
- When picking up or turning in an application at 1621 Columbia Street, 40203, please park in the marked spots and call the number listed on the sign. We ask that you remain in your car and a Habitat staff member will come to you to assist. Habitat staff will be wearing a mask and we ask that when they arrive to your car, you are wearing a mask as well.
- For any questions, please contact Habitat at 502.637.6265
- The last day to pick up a mortgage application is April 22 at 4 pm.
- Completed applications must be turned in with all supporting documentation by April 24 at 4 pm.
New Applicant Information Sessions:
- Habitat for Humanity of Metro Louisville is hosting two Information Sessions for prospective new applicants interested in applying to our homeownership program:
- March 31 from 6:00 – 7:00 pm
- April 7 from noon – 1:00 pm
- Please join us on Zoom for information on program details, application specifics, and required supporting documentation. There will be plenty of time for questions as well.
- Please provide your own Interpreter, if you need one.
- These Information Sessions are not a requirement in order to apply to Habitat’s program.
- To receive the Zoom link, individuals will need to RSVP to Benita Freeman at email@example.com or 502.805.1401.